Insurance Technology & Services Defined
Insurance technology can be defined as information technology applied to any aspect of insurance. As such, it touches every part of every insurance business process – from the time that the policy is sold until the last claim dollar is paid and the policy has expired. For insurance agents, companies, providers, claims adjusters, and almost everyone else in the insurance industry, technology is the backbone of their process, work and service. As information technology continues to evolve, it will increasingly support all insurance processes.
It is estimated that about 15,000 jobs exist under the umbrella of insurance technology and services in Columbia, SC, from boutique software development firms to nationally recognized Fortune 500 leaders.
The Columbia Insurance Technology & Services Cluster is dedicated to promoting the Greater Columbia area’s wealth of opportunities within the insurance technology sector, and is supported by the South Carolina Council on Competitiveness. Its mission is to foster an environment of opportunity where talent, innovation, collaboration, and a shared vision ignite a world class industry.
The vision of ITS|SC is to grow its 20+ companies and 15,000+ employees into the largest, most dynamic, and most competitive insurance technology cluster in the world.
ITS|SC is dedicated to accomplishing five goals in achieving its mission of helping increase the competitiveness of insurance technology and services in South Carolina including
- To attract and retain high quality professionals with technical and/or insurance industry experience to the Greater Columbia area.
- To identify, grow, and source local talent by collaborating with the educational and workforce development community through curriculum development, internships, and student engagement.
- To create a business and regulatory environment where insurance technology and services companies have a competitive edge.
- To support innovation within the industry to help companies develop more competitive products and services.
- To promote Columbia and South Carolina as a center of excellence in insurance technology and services.
Our 2017 iTs|SC Executive Committee includes some of the brightest minds in the Midlands. Together they work to lead the impact of iTs|SC.
- Chair: Maria Price, Duck Creek Technologies
- Vice Chair: Terry Povey, BCBSSC
- Marketing and Communications Committee Chair: Sean Roper, Duck Creek Technologies
- Industry Engagement Committee Chair: Carol Wallace, BCBSSC
- Workforce Development Committee Chair: Bob Adams, TCube Solutions
- Member At-Large: Jeff Rogers, Core Technology Solutions